Saturday, November 17, 2007


Well, I've had my MacBook for four days now. For the most part, I really like it. I like the feel of the keyboard and the fact that it seems much lighter than my HP to carry--although I've been lugging around both of them since Wednesday! I've also experienced some frustration as I try to learn how to use the Mac. I'm used to being the "expert" (although I certainly still have a lot to learn about PC's, too), and with the MacBook, I'm a beginner. I guess it's good for me to experience the frustration that some of my colleagues and students go through as they strive to increase their technology skills.

So far, I've been able to set up my Mac to receive and send email, and after some finagling, I got it to print to my older inkjet printer at school. At home, I just connected the USB cable of my HP Photosmart All-in-One, and it printed immediately. Neither Sharon nor I have figured out how to connect to the network printers at school, though.

I installed my del.icio.us buttons and set up my RSS feeds. I also quickly downloaded photos from my digital camera to iPhoto software and categorized the pictures. Easy! I didn't immediately see a way to edit the pictures for posting on the Web, though, and it took me awhile to get the picture uploaded to this post.

I still need Windows XP and Parallels installed on my MacBook so I can run my "Windows only" software, like FrontPage. I don't think I can update our web site with the "iWeb" Mac software, although maybe with some training, I'll find a way.

I can't wait for our "out-of-the-box" Apple training. I have so much to learn! And I have a feeling I'll be carrying two laptops around for at least a few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are being moderated for school appropriateness by the blog author. Your comments will not be published immediately. Thank you for your patience.