Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tony Vincent on iPods in the Classroom


I had an opportunity recently to participate in a Discovery EdTechConnect webinar by Tony Vincent on using iPods in the classroom. Tony has lots of information and podcasts about using iPods and other handheld devices on his Learning in Hand web site.

Some tips from Tony:
1. Incipio--$18 voice recorder that works with the iPod Touch. Use it to record instructions for centers, lectures, etc. that can be played back on the Touch.

2. Spokentext.net--converts text to speech. Upload a text file and this site converts it to an audio file to play on the iPod. Students can listen to what they've written while editing.

3. Convert YouTube or other videos to mp4 format to view on the Touch. Add the word kick to the front of the video URL. (Example: http://kickyoutube.com/watch/?v=ddO9idmax0o) Click MP4 at the top of the window, then click Go on the right. Right click on the Download button and save the file. Then add it to your iTunes Library and sync your iPod.

4. iPREPPress. E-books for iPods, such as dictionaries, can be purchased and loaded into "Notes."

5. Use PowerPoint to make flashcards. Put a question on one slide and its answer on the next. Make as many question/answer slides as needed. When saving, change the "format" to jpg instead of PowerPoint Presentation. Each slide will be saved as a separate jpg picture. Read more on Tony's web site.

6. The Touch and other iPod models can be used like a flash drive to transfer files. Note the keychain with USB adapter that can be purchased for $10.

7. Documents can be saved as text files and imported into "Notes" on the iPod. Make ebooks for iPods at ipod-notes.com. Students can load their class notes on their iPods and study during their long bus rides. They can have lists such as transition words or prepositions on hand at all times for reference.

8. The Our City Podcasts project allows students to create podcasts about their hometowns and post them online.

Leave a comment and tell us how you are using the iPod Touch in your classroom!


Image: http://www.canby.k12.or.us/news/740.html

2 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Betty

    http://desktopmemory.info

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hardest part about this project was figuring out what I was drawing and to make it actually look like a dinosaur. I enjoyed every part of this project. But most of all I liked experimenting with the watercolor paint. I also liked when we got the whole school day off just to paint our dinosaurs. I actually learned a lot about dinosaurs through the pictures I found on the Internet, from the videoconference, and by painting. I think I improved my painting and drawing skills a lot! My inspirations came from my friend’s sketches. Everyone’s paintings and sketches were so unique and different. I really enjoyed the videoconference. It was fun to interact with other schools and show other students your paintings or sketches. I have to say it was a really exciting experience and I would definitely do it again.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete

Comments are being moderated for school appropriateness by the blog author. Your comments will not be published immediately. Thank you for your patience.